Had not my daughter's class (in Walled Lake) had one more student enroll over the summer, she would have been in a class of 30 KINDERGARTNERS!
If you would like further details about this, please contact me. But what I am really asking is that you contact those that are making decisions about our children.
There is a committee in the state that is making these decisions right now.
Please consider cutting and pasting (it makes it easy for you) or writing your own letter to this group of representatives that are currently working on this. We need to let them know that their plan to shift dollars from k-12 Education in favor of a $1.6 Billion tax break for business is unacceptable.If they got emails from all of us (and please share it with others) I would hope that they would pay attention to those in the state they were elected to serve.
Copy and past the letter below (yes it is long and you are more than welcome to modify or write your own), and send it to the committee members I have listed at the bottom of this post.Their actions WILL directly impact your children's (and my children's) education.
If you pass this along to others in the state, you may want to suggest they find out directly how these cuts are hurting their district, or take out the specifics about Walled Lake. Please share this post with others.Thank you so very much,
Laura Doran
Dear Michigan House Representative,
I have become aware of your position as a member of the Appropriations Committee sub-committee, School Aid. One of my biggest concerns at this time is the proposed raid on the State School Aid Fund. There is sufficient money in the fund to give K-12 education adequate funding, if not even an INCREASE in funding. To cut K-12 funding and to give it to community colleges and other schools of higher education is draconian.
First, the colleges have the ability to raise revenue in other ways, while K-12 schools do not. Secondly, schools in the K-12 arena, especially Walled Lake (my local school), are down to their last dollar- literally. The cuts they will have to make will undo all of the fine programs we have in place; like interventions for students who need extra help and the exemplary curriculum work that happens here and makes our schools some of the best in the state. This is just the beginning! Between proposed loss of revenues and increased costs, Walled Lake is looking at $24 million in cuts before next year. Even if the teachers took a 10% pay cut, it would only save a little over $7 million. This is less than a third of the money Walled Lake is looking to cut. You are literally creating a deficit district with your School Aid Fund policy if it is carried out.
Most disgusting to me is that the true reason for making these cuts to education is to free up General Fund dollars so our state government can give a $1.8 BILLION dollar tax break to businesses. This is unfathomable to me. How can a multi-billion dollar tax break for businesses be more important than a quality education for all children?
By making this cut in education by shifting funds out of the School Aid Fund, you are totally violating the wishes of those who voted for the initiation of Proposal A in the 1990's. It was a decision of the electorate and should be respected as such. The most important function of a state government is to insure that schools are funded to do the best job possible. I implore you to NOT shift funds for K-12 Education to the General Fund. Use the money in that fund the way the electorate intended... funding K-12 Education.
*At the end I added a person message about my own children, my parents wrote about their grandchildren, Aunts and Uncles can write about their nieces and nephews... etc. Here are the addresses to use. Depending on your computer, you might be able to just click on the email address, or copy and paste the address to your email!
On behalf of children in the state of Michigan,
Thank you!
1. Rep. Bill Rogers (R)- Chair- Brighton
billrogers@house.mi.gov
2. Rep. Phil Potvin (R) Cadilac
philpotvin@house.mi.gov
3. Rep. Earl Poleski (R) Jackson
earlpoleski@house.mi.gov
4. Rep. Jon Bumstead (R) Newago
Thank you for doing this! I've wanted to act on this issue but wasn't sure where to begin or what exactly to say. I added a little more to the letter to personalize it and sent it out to all of the Reps right away.
ReplyDeleteThank You!
Julie Rachner
You are so welcome. I will do my best to keep you informed because we are watching this closely as it also affects how we do our jobs (class size being something I am VERY concerned about).
ReplyDeleteDon't be surprised if you hear from them and they say that you are not in your district. I wrote them back and let them know that while I am not in their district their actions are affecting MY children and I hope to at least appeal to that. I am guessing the parents in their districts would not want this happening but they may not be aware of the bills pending in Lansing right now...
Sorry... I meant to say not in "their" district...
ReplyDeleteAt my daughter's ballet class a mom was telling me that at the school her mom works in in AZ there were 60 kindergartners in one class... I can't quite imagine that but I do know that principals can fire teachers on a whim. My cousin quit teaching to wait tables there because she made more money... :-( Hi turn-over rate in teachers there.
Hi Mrs. Doran, how are you?
ReplyDeleteSofia's Godparents will be visiting us the last week of April and they would love to come in and be the mystery readers for friday April, 29th.
Thank you!
Diana Urbina
PERFECT! I have added them to the 29th on our Mystery Reader page! I will send you the info shortly!
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!