Welcome students, families and friends and thanks for stopping in to see what is happening in Room 119! This site is a window into our learning. We hope you will enjoy the stories, pictures and videos. Please also check out the links below our theme song for additional information and fun. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter! We love hearing from you so feel free to leave a comment!

Our Theme Song

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Friday's Events

Dear First Grade Families,

By now, I am sure that you have all heard of the tragic events that took place in Connecticut on Friday. I have not read, watched or seen any pictures from the tragedy and at this moment, I am not ready to.  I do know that some of your children probably have seen things on the news or overheard the conversations of others.  As with what happened with the Wixom shooter, I wanted to be transparent with how I plan things to go on Monday.

My goal is to not talk about Friday's events at all with the students.  Still, should they have questions, I will do my best to give them truthful answers with as little detail as possible.  I will also tell them that while they can ask me and talk to me about such things, that they can also talk with you and that you will have more time to answer their questions.

Having young children ourselves, my husband and I plan to talk about Friday's events briefly with our children this weekend.  We will also tell them that there may be some children at school who will talk about it and say things that are NOT true.  We will encourage our children not to talk to their friends about it, but instead to talk with us when they get home.  Often times children hear bits and pieces of conversations and put them together and the story they have is not an accurate one.

I cannot control what happens outside of room 119, but I will do my best to make Monday business as usual.  Should any conversations come up, I promise to let you know as soon as I am able.

Finally, the district shared some wonderful resources to help you with this (as a parent in the district, I received the same email).  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.  I will check my email regularly this weekend and hope to get our regular blog out soon.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Doran

No comments:

Post a Comment

Click here to let Mrs. Doran know you stopped by and share your thoughts.